Road Star Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Crazy looking Sparks plugs
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Crazy looking Sparks plugs
#1014570
Roadierob (User)
Expert Boarder
Posts: 471
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Crazy looking Sparks plugs 3 Months, 1 Week ago  
So I changed out my plugs today for the first time since buying my 1600 a year ago. I just recently installed a set of Freedom Performance 2 into 1's and adjusted the PMS after install.

I had previously installed a K&N along with Barons jetting when I had HK 3" Big Straights installed.

The bike is running great. No popping on decel, I jump on it, and it goes like a bat out of hell, especially since installing the 2 into 1.
The only thing is, it might not be getting the greatest gas mileage in the world, but I'm still checking that part out.

When I pulled the plugs today I had a few that looked like this. The color of the plug is literally two different colors. See pic. This one was the most obvious, but the others look a little similar.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this ? I know I havent. I thought it looked pretty strange. I know these plugs have at least 4000 miles on them.

 
Logged Logged  
 

  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1014573
RoadstarTerry (User)
Senior Boarder
Posts: 322
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Re:Crazy looking Sparks plugs 3 Months, 1 Week ago  
Here's my read on the plug...
Gap is probably a little too wide...
Fuel ratio isn't that bad...
Runs rich probably at start up...
The shadow indicates probably a bit rich at midrange...
BUT to get a really decent plug read the best way is to do a "chop" at
Upper mid rpm and read the plug when new. I think they are not showing anything bad...
IMHO
 
Logged Logged  
 
Last Edit: 2017/06/19 09:25 By RoadstarTerry.
 
Pat Tillman American Legion Post 117
Service Officer
American Legion Riders
Patriot Guard Riders

Patriot Guard Rider
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1014580
Midnitmike (User)
Junior Boarder
Posts: 109
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Crazy looking Sparks plugs 3 Months, 1 Week ago  
RoadstarTerry wrote:
Here's my read on the plug...
Gap is probably a little too wide...
Fuel ratio isn't that bad...
Runs rich probably at start up...
The shadow indicates probably a bit rich at midrange...
BUT to get a really decent plug read the best way is to do a "chop" at
Upper mid rpm and read the plug when new. I think they are not showing anything bad...
IMHO


Man you're good...do you do tea leaves by chance?
 
Logged Logged  
 
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1014581
Spydr (User)
Let's Ride !
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 2196
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Location: Pompano Beach, Fl.
Re:Crazy looking Sparks plugs 3 Months, 1 Week ago  
Roadierob wrote:
So I changed out my plugs today for the first time since buying my 1600 a year ago. I just recently installed a set of Freedom Performance 2 into 1's and adjusted the PMS after install.

I had previously installed a K&N along with Barons jetting when I had HK 3" Big Straights installed.

The bike is running great. No popping on decel, I jump on it, and it goes like a bat out of hell, especially since installing the 2 into 1.
The only thing is, it might not be getting the greatest gas mileage in the world, but I'm still checking that part out.

When I pulled the plugs today I had a few that looked like this. The color of the plug is literally two different colors. See pic. This one was the most obvious, but the others look a little similar.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this ? I know I havent. I thought it looked pretty strange. I know these plugs have at least 4000 miles on them.



DAMN! Mine look Exactly like that!. Guess my question to Roadstar Terry is... What the hell do we DO about it?
 
Logged Logged  
 
Welcome to my NightMare
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1014585
RoadstarTerry (User)
Senior Boarder
Posts: 322
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Re:Crazy looking Sparks plugs 3 Months, 1 Week ago  
You asked for an opinion ok gave one.
I won't bother with trying to explain how and
why I have any knowledge beyond reading tea leaves
and we'll leave it at that. Unless you are having an issue with
the way your bike is running or something else you didn't
mention I doubt I'd do anything based on what I saw.
 
Logged Logged  
 
Pat Tillman American Legion Post 117
Service Officer
American Legion Riders
Patriot Guard Riders

Patriot Guard Rider
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1014586
jd750ace (User)
Front toward enemy
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 18646
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male jd750ace Location: Waxahachie Texas Birthdate: 1969-10-30
Re:Crazy looking Sparks plugs 3 Months, 1 Week ago  
Mine are the same way with that shadow effect. I just figure she's on the verge of going nuclear, but it don't knock or ping, and pulls like a brown mule on crack chasing another rock, and gets low to mid 40s on fuel economy, so I'm not changing a thing.
 
Logged Logged  
 
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1014589
JEastonjr (User)
Drive for the greater good.
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 1872
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Weymouth, Massachusetts 02191 Birthdate: 1960-00-00
Re:Crazy looking Sparks plugs 3 Months, 1 Week ago  
IMHO, The ring around the electrode is what the underside of the head looks like. I would go with 3.5 on the needle. Where stock is a 165 main jet and stock pilot is a 35. Your up to a 170 main and 37.5 pilot. What does the end of your pipes look like? Just my 0.02
 
Logged Logged  
 
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1014590
davej (User)
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 17919
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Toledo Ohio Birthdate: 1957-00-00
Re:Crazy looking Sparks plugs 3 Months, 1 Week ago  
JEastonjr wrote:
IMHO, The ring around the electrode is what the underside of the head looks like. I would go with 3.5 on the needle. Where stock is a 165 main jet and stock pilot is a 35. Your up to a 170 main and 37.5 pilot. What does the end of your pipes look like? Just my 0.02

The different (larger jets) are due to the needle taper and mods of free flowing exhaust and intake. He has the correct size for his bike.

As said above if the bike is running good leave it alone. Don't go looking for problems that don't exist. I wouldn't touch anything. Just ride it.
 
Logged Logged  
 
Last Edit: 2017/06/19 07:40 By davej.
 
dave
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1014597
texasscott1 (User)
Two of a kind
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 4462
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male
Re:Crazy looking Sparks plugs 3 Months, 1 Week ago  
As Easton said the metal at the ends of the threads shows a little rich. As for the black shadow, don't worry about it, it's caused by the accelerator pump squirt.
 
Logged Logged  
 


My 99 Standard Test Mule
Scott B.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1014645
Roadierob (User)
Expert Boarder
Posts: 471
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Crazy looking Sparks plugs 3 Months, 1 Week ago  
davej wrote:
JEastonjr wrote:
IMHO, The ring around the electrode is what the underside of the head looks like. I would go with 3.5 on the needle. Where stock is a 165 main jet and stock pilot is a 35. Your up to a 170 main and 37.5 pilot. What does the end of your pipes look like? Just my 0.02

The different (larger jets) are due to the needle taper and mods of free flowing exhaust and intake. He has the correct size for his bike.

As said above if the bike is running good leave it alone. Don't go looking for problems that don't exist. I wouldn't touch anything. Just ride it.


Sounds like a plan. I had just never seen plugs burn like that before. Like I said she runs like a bat outa hell. So I'm just going to ride her. I'll start keeping tabs on my mileage, but it's tough for me since I have a hard time keeping her under 70 MPH on Freeways, plus I do a lot of 2 up riding.

Thanks for inputs
Rob
 
Logged Logged  
 

  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Go to top Post Reply
Powered by FireBoardget the latest posts directly to your desktop
...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... -->
New Forum Posts




The Road Star Clinic is a collaborative community of riders who archive and publish user contributed technical data about Yamaha Road Star motorcycles.

We also sponsor the creation and support of other community websites similar to our own. Inquiries about availability of a website for your community can be submitted to us via any "Contact Us" option on the Clinic.

Copyright 2003-2007 Road Star Clinic and its respective authors. Road Star Clinic is sponsored by the folks at MLSHomeQuest.com.