Road Star Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Rear Fender Mod .....
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Rear Fender Mod .....
#1023667
Father_Pobasturd (User)
VENI VIDI VICI
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 4909
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Buckeye, Arizona Birthdate: 1961-09-11
Re:Rear Fender Mod ..... 2 Months ago  
Thanks for your concern Ctkog. Unfortunately, there are no bars in Scorpion Gulch. I actually live in Buckeye, Az. I just represent Scorpion Gulch because no one else does, it's kind of like a ghost town.

I hope you sell all your project items. My health issues go beyond my recent problem with my balls. In fact, that I'm even having this conversation with you is somewhat of a miracle. I have COPD and CHF, they are breathing issues. Last Thursday my breathing took a turn for the worse. I don't want to be any further burden to my family than I already have been, and I was ready to end it Saturday night. I got all my legal affairs in order, only to find my wife had hidden my pistol. We talked everything through, and what's happening is I may just have the flue, not that my COPD /CHF is getting worse. So I'm trying to ride this out and see if my breathing gets a little better again. If so, then I can work on the balls problem some more. I bought an ED seat and I'm not ready to start digging holes in it just yet.

I have met with 2 RSC members. The first was very helpful, came out twice and worked on my bike. Nothing major, I had just bought it, and there were some things it needed. I won't mention any names, because I did mention them here on the Forum. I said what they did, and that I was very grateful, and that I wanted to nominate them for Forum Member of the Year for their help and generosity. Well, for some reason, this caused a big stink, much to my surprise. To this day, that member, who is still active on here, will not speak with me or answer PM's from me.

The second member was a guy who moved here from Minnesota. We met at Cooperstown for lunch and hung out for a couple hours. Later he moved to Tucson and I have not seen or heard from him since. He may not even be on the RSC anymore. I'm on here everyday, so chances are if he popped up I would see it. The RSC is kind of like a social media site for me, as my health decreases I find it's my only outlet for the topic of motorcycles, which I have loved all my life.

As I read back through this I see it's kind of random and all over the place. Must be the low oxygen making me a bit unfocused. I will ride til I can ride no longer, right now I'm hoping that day is not as close as I thought it was last week. The weather is just getting right here now, my bike is running great and there's fuel to burn.



 
Logged Logged  
 
Last Edit: 2017/10/09 01:09 By Father_Pobasturd.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1023695
ctkog (User)
Expert Boarder
Posts: 495
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Rear Fender Mod ..... 2 Months ago  
Father_Pobasturd wrote:
Thanks for your concern Ctkog. Unfortunately, there are no bars in Scorpion Gulch. I actually live in Buckeye, Az. I just represent Scorpion Gulch because no one else does, it's kind of like a ghost town.

I hope you sell all your project items. My health issues go beyond my recent problem with my balls. In fact, that I'm even having this conversation with you is somewhat of a miracle. I have COPD and CHF, they are breathing issues. Last Thursday my breathing took a turn for the worse. I don't want to be any further burden to my family than I already have been, and I was ready to end it Saturday night. I got all my legal affairs in order, only to find my wife had hidden my pistol. We talked everything through, and what's happening is I may just have the flue, not that my COPD /CHF is getting worse. So I'm trying to ride this out and see if my breathing gets a little better again. If so, then I can work on the balls problem some more. I bought an ED seat and I'm not ready to start digging holes in it just yet.

I have met with 2 RSC members. The first was very helpful, came out twice and worked on my bike. Nothing major, I had just bought it, and there were some things it needed. I won't mention any names, because I did mention them here on the Forum. I said what they did, and that I was very grateful, and that I wanted to nominate them for Forum Member of the Year for their help and generosity. Well, for some reason, this caused a big stink, much to my surprise. To this day, that member, who is still active on here, will not speak with me or answer PM's from me.

The second member was a guy who moved here from Minnesota. We met at Cooperstown for lunch and hung out for a couple hours. Later he moved to Tucson and I have not seen or heard from him since. He may not even be on the RSC anymore. I'm on here everyday, so chances are if he popped up I would see it. The RSC is kind of like a social media site for me, as my health decreases I find it's my only outlet for the topic of motorcycles, which I have loved all my life.

As I read back through this I see it's kind of random and all over the place. Must be the low oxygen making me a bit unfocused. I will ride til I can ride no longer, right now I'm hoping that day is not as close as I thought it was last week. The weather is just getting right here now, my bike is running great and there's fuel to burn.


Sure glad you're still with us Steve. I'm on the forum a lot so I know who's usually on and I was getting concerned yesterday when I didn't see you logged in at all. Something just didn't seem right. You were on in my mind and my prayers all day and now I know why. I do know that condition is a tough one. I lost a friend to Cardio Pulmonary Hypertension back in the 2000 and when I saw the oxygen line that's what I thought it might be or something similar. Glad you pulled through this weekend and hope that getting over the flu you will start feeling a better.
 
Logged Logged  
 

---------- NOTHING STRAIGHTENS MY HEAD OUT BETTER THAN AN ENTIRELY CROOKED ROAD-----------
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1023804
adamp (User)
Garage Gold
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 1388
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Atwater, Ca Birthdate: 1984-02-04
Re:Rear Fender Mod ..... 2 Months ago  
Looks like a great idea!! Hopefully the R&D process goes well!!
 
Logged Logged  
 
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1023818
ctkog (User)
Expert Boarder
Posts: 495
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Rear Fender Mod ..... 2 Months ago  
adamp wrote:
Looks like a great idea!! Hopefully the R&D process goes well!!

Thanks adamp! If I get a free machine we can get these kits finished!!
 
Logged Logged  
 

---------- NOTHING STRAIGHTENS MY HEAD OUT BETTER THAN AN ENTIRELY CROOKED ROAD-----------
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1024272
Shores (User)
Go getchur scooter!
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 6809
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Location: Puyallup, WA
Re:Rear Fender Mod ..... 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago  
Got the package today Rick. Wow! Very professional including the packaging and instructions. Will dissect the instructions tomorrow and install after Monday since I have a ride scheduled then. Rain predicted all other days. Cool! Thanks for your hard work. I’ll take photos before, during and after.
 
Logged Logged  
 

The west is the best - Jim Morrison
Photo by GreenMachine
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1024273
smokescreens (User)
lifes better riding twins
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 17366
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: harrison twp,  mi Birthdate: 1982-08-26
Re:Rear Fender Mod ..... 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago  
Where were you when i had my roadie? I would have loved this item! i always felt the rear fender was a sky scraper over the rear tire till you lowered the bike. But then you would drag the bottom of the bike off
 
Logged Logged  
 
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1024274
ctkog (User)
Expert Boarder
Posts: 495
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Rear Fender Mod ..... 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago  
Thanks Shores, I'll be making some small adjustments to the wording of the instructions. Let me know if you had any trouble with them.. or have any suggestions. The "editor-wife" pointed out a few things I could have said better.

I worked another 6 hours today finishing up the 20 kits that I had the material for. They are all done! Funny this past week I was talking with one of our engineers who was in our training class - training on our little 5600 lb capacity Instron machine - and we were doing some tension testing on some material and I got the idea to bring in one of the 13-8 fender brackets, thinking maybe we could run it through some square wave ramp cycles at 5000 lbs, but the instructor laughed and said don't even bother the machine is way under rated to test those brackets.

Bob my engineer buddy has built a battle bike... like welding the frame from chromoly tubing and everything. I asked what he thought about the load the fender kit bracket would experience with a passenger on the seat and hitting heavy bumps or potholes etc. he said well if you take the heaviest passenger you can think of and multiply that by a 5 g pothole, that's like maybe 1500 lbs. He said with the brackets being 13-8 (13% chrome, 8% nickel) and having a tensile strength of approx 180 ksi, the bracket's cross section area should handle about 40,000lbs!!! He said of course that doesn't take into account all the dynamics of load direction relative to shape of the part etc, so Monday he's putting the bracket solidworks file through software that simulates and stress analyzes. I totally realize this is overkill but it's nice to know. And it's fun!


Smokes, now that you CAN bring the fender down and not scrape a frame you'll have to get another Roadie!!!!?
 
Logged Logged  
 
Last Edit: 2017/10/21 23:04 By ctkog.
 

---------- NOTHING STRAIGHTENS MY HEAD OUT BETTER THAN AN ENTIRELY CROOKED ROAD-----------
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1025094
MikeyC (User)
Gold Boarder
Posts: 634
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Albany, Oregon
Re:Rear Fender Mod ..... 1 Month ago  
Hey, I put the fender lowering kit on my bike. I really like the look it gives it. I will probably have to send Rick pictures and let him post them.
It was very easy and the instructions were very good. I DID NOT take the rear wheel off, I did take my saddle bags off to make access easier. I put all the parts on loose/snug, I then put the long M8 bolts thru from the inside the fender and lifted the fender into place. I have a luggage rack which made a good handle, so holding the fender with one hand by the luggage rack I used the other hand to reach in front of/beside the rear wheel and start the M8 bolts. Centered the fender and tightened everything down. Whole thing took less than an hour.
I have a seat rail that bolted to the fender, I had my daughter make me a stand for that, I have to put it on tonight and see how it looks.
Thank you Rick, the kit looked like a piece of art, beautiful work, shame it's all covered up.
 
Logged Logged  
 

Life is tough,
Its even tougher if your stupid.
John Wayne
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1025112
ctkog (User)
Expert Boarder
Posts: 495
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Rear Fender Mod ..... 1 Month ago  
MikeyC wrote:
Hey, I put the fender lowering kit on my bike. I really like the look it gives it. I will probably have to send Rick pictures and let him post them.
It was very easy and the instructions were very good. I DID NOT take the rear wheel off, I did take my saddle bags off to make access easier. I put all the parts on loose/snug, I then put the long M8 bolts thru from the inside the fender and lifted the fender into place. I have a luggage rack which made a good handle, so holding the fender with one hand by the luggage rack I used the other hand to reach in front of/beside the rear wheel and start the M8 bolts. Centered the fender and tightened everything down. Whole thing took less than an hour.
I have a seat rail that bolted to the fender, I had my daughter make me a stand for that, I have to put it on tonight and see how it looks.
Thank you Rick, the kit looked like a piece of art, beautiful work, shame it's all covered up.


Thanks for the review Mike! So far 8 kits have gone out and everyone's responses were similar to yours. Two others also said they did not need to take the wheel off, so with that feedback in mind I would suggest not taking the wheel off unless you have a safe easy way to pull it off (like a lift jack etc). It definitely will make the install a bit easier. So far I have not received any responses that would indicated a need to modify the design any, so the design appears to be solid and reliable. It was nice to receive some comments by email and pm from guys saying they like the look and it was fun to install. Like you said Mike it's like legos for men.

Hopefully we can get your 'before and after' pics up soon so others can see another bike with a kit installed. If you muster up those photos I'll post them for you no problem.. my email is ctkog00rstar@gmail.com or you may have my other email, which is fine too.

________________


I should add the price of the kit is $105 in the usa / and $120 to Canada. This includes shipping. Usa is 2-day priority and Canada takes about 5-7 days. I don't know how much shipping is to Europe or Australia etc until I've shipped one there but I imagine it won't be too much different than Canada. PM or email if you would like a kit and the purchase is only thru PayPal for everyone's safety. It includes some very handy color photo instructions that I think y'all will like.

I am offering a 100% satisfaction guarantee shown below because there are no doubt setups the kit just isn't the modification for. As you do your homework on that I'm available to bounce it off and help you figure out whether it should work or not. just get in touch with me. Like the guarantee states if you find it won't install on your bike to your liking or you don't care for the look, I'll give you a refund. I feel that's the most fair way to offer a modification kit.

Rick

'>
'>
'>
 
Logged Logged  
 
Last Edit: 2017/11/30 13:20 By ctkog.
 

---------- NOTHING STRAIGHTENS MY HEAD OUT BETTER THAN AN ENTIRELY CROOKED ROAD-----------
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1025116
ctkog (User)
Expert Boarder
Posts: 495
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Rear Fender Mod ..... 1 Month ago  
This is my very first video so bear with me. The camera flash was on the entire time I didn't realize and kept blinding me whenever I looked toward it. Plus I'm still a little camera shy? There were also some things I probably forgot to mention so I might add them in as they come to me. Like the shim I'm talking about sticks to the area of the frame with heavy duty exterior mounting tape. So it is just a quick clean the surface and stick it on type of deal. Trust me when I say this mounting tape STICKS. Each kit will have one included.

 
Logged Logged  
 

---------- NOTHING STRAIGHTENS MY HEAD OUT BETTER THAN AN ENTIRELY CROOKED ROAD-----------
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Go to top Post Reply
Powered by FireBoardget the latest posts directly to your desktop
...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... -->
New Forum Posts




The Road Star Clinic is a collaborative community of riders who archive and publish user contributed technical data about Yamaha Road Star motorcycles.

We also sponsor the creation and support of other community websites similar to our own. Inquiries about availability of a website for your community can be submitted to us via any "Contact Us" option on the Clinic.

Copyright 2003-2007 Road Star Clinic and its respective authors. Road Star Clinic is sponsored by the folks at MLSHomeQuest.com.