Road Star Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Heat Exchanger for Furnace Flue?
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Heat Exchanger for Furnace Flue?
#1026005
MidwestMike (User)
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 4701
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Heat Exchanger for Furnace Flue? 1 Week, 3 Days ago  
While I still have access the these great minds...

I'm looking for heat exchanger that I could put on a furnace flue.

I have an old furnace, "updated" from coal 70 years ago. Still running strong, but not what you would call efficient. New efficient boilers can us PVC for the exhaust, they get all the heat out of the units.

This flue right here runs up to 220 degrees, so wasting a bit of heat right out the chimney.
I never worried about all these years, but now I'm working in the basement more and need a little more heat. Seems silly to use electric heaters with this much wasted energy 12 feet away.

I've looked multiple times in the past and have given up, hoping someone spots something I didn't.

Obviously the first thing I looked at was exchangers for wood burning stoves and something similar, but now luck.

I thought about making something. The flue is 7 inches, thought about adding a bigger piece of pipe with and cross pipes and a fan or something. I also picture something I make to lead me to getting very sleepy in the basement one day..

I'll take any leads you might have,
Thanks!

 
Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1026009
davej (User)
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 18039
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Toledo Ohio Birthdate: 1957-00-00
Re:Heat Exchanger for Furnace Flue? 1 Week, 3 Days ago  
MidwestMike wrote:
While I still have access the these great minds...

I'm looking for heat exchanger that I could put on a furnace flue.

I have an old furnace, "updated" from coal 70 years ago. Still running strong, but not what you would call efficient. New efficient boilers can us PVC for the exhaust, they get all the heat out of the units.

This flue right here runs up to 220 degrees, so wasting a bit of heat right out the chimney.
I never worried about all these years, but now I'm working in the basement more and need a little more heat. Seems silly to use electric heaters with this much wasted energy 12 feet away.

I've looked multiple times in the past and have given up, hoping someone spots something I didn't.

Obviously the first thing I looked at was exchangers for wood burning stoves and something similar, but now luck.

I thought about making something. The flue is 7 inches, thought about adding a bigger piece of pipe with and cross pipes and a fan or something. I also picture something I make to lead me to getting very sleepy in the basement one day..

I'll take any leads you might have,
Thanks!




Is it a hot water boiler or forced air furnace? If it is a boiler heating water for radiator heat just add another zone for the area you want to heat.
 
Logged Logged  
 
dave
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1026013
MidwestMike (User)
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 4701
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Heat Exchanger for Furnace Flue? 1 Week, 3 Days ago  
davej wrote:


Is it a hot water boiler or forced air furnace? If it is a boiler heating water for radiator heat just add another zone for the area you want to heat.


Boiler with radiators. There is a radiator in the basement but it was always a "strange" setup and did do as much as it should.
(I remodeled the kitchen and finally threw that radiator out... )

Still thinking with 200 degrees plus flying up the flue I might find a way to reclaim a some of it.

Might end up trying a homemade deal. I used to just stick a fan on it but I know you can get more.

wood stove heat exchanger images
 
Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1026017
Dogbone (User)
AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 1427
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: SouthEast Texas
Re:Heat Exchanger for Furnace Flue? 1 Week, 3 Days ago  
MidwestMike wrote:
davej wrote:


Is it a hot water boiler or forced air furnace? If it is a boiler heating water for radiator heat just add another zone for the area you want to heat.


Boiler with radiators. There is a radiator in the basement but it was always a "strange" setup and did do as much as it should.
(I remodeled the kitchen and finally threw that radiator out... )

Still thinking with 200 degrees plus flying up the flue I might find a way to reclaim a some of it.

Might end up trying a homemade deal. I used to just stick a fan on it but I know you can get more.

wood stove heat exchanger images


Something like those pictured in the link are probably going to be your best bet. You might also google "furnace economizer"; more intended for fuel savings than additional heat but you might find some good ideas.
 
Logged Logged  
 
' width='250' border='0' style='max-width:450px; ' />
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1026040
G_Conway (User)
ScrewBird
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 1060
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: San Diego, CA. Birthdate: 1955-05-12
Re:Heat Exchanger for Furnace Flue? 1 Week, 3 Days ago  
Do some research on something called a "Heat-a-lator." I remember them being big in the midwest about 10 years ago. They were actually designed to sit IN a fireplace create a thermal conduction air pump effect.

I have NO actual experience with one, but it is a crude form of heat exchanger.

Good luck.
 
Logged Logged  
 

Gerry
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1026042
Midnitmike (User)
Junior Boarder
Posts: 158
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Heat Exchanger for Furnace Flue? 1 Week, 3 Days ago  
Typically we use a device called a "stack robber" to extract a little extra heat from our wood stove flues.
 
Logged Logged  
 
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1026068
jd750ace (User)
Front toward enemy
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 18732
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male jd750ace Location: Waxahachie Texas Birthdate: 1969-10-30
Re:Heat Exchanger for Furnace Flue? 1 Week, 2 Days ago  
Some type of finned wrap around to increase surface area with a moderate flow across it with a fan will increase the calories you keep in the basement. Aluminum is a very thermally conductive material for a heat exchanger.
 
Logged Logged  
 
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Go to top Post Reply
Powered by FireBoardget the latest posts directly to your desktop
...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... -->
New Forum Posts




The Road Star Clinic is a collaborative community of riders who archive and publish user contributed technical data about Yamaha Road Star motorcycles.

We also sponsor the creation and support of other community websites similar to our own. Inquiries about availability of a website for your community can be submitted to us via any "Contact Us" option on the Clinic.

Copyright 2003-2007 Road Star Clinic and its respective authors. Road Star Clinic is sponsored by the folks at MLSHomeQuest.com.