Road Star Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Speedometer issues
#1022024
thatjeepguy (User)
Fresh Boarder
Posts: 23
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Speedometer issues 1 Week, 1 Day ago  
My speedometer decided not to work yesterday for about 3/4 of my 25 mile ride home. No sweep, no nothing but it was working when I got home. I've read other posts on speedometers and I've decided to check and clean the connections this weekend and go from there if that doesn't work.
My question is about the speed sensor. I realize it has a possibility of being the problem but if it went bad, isn't it designed to send a code to the check engine light?
 
Logged Logged  
 
The reason I talk to myself is because I\'m the only one whose answers I\'ll accept.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1022035
G_Conway (User)
ScrewBird
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 1009
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: San Diego, CA. Birthdate: 1955-05-12
Re:Speedometer issues 1 Week, 1 Day ago  
thatjeepguy wrote:
My speedometer decided not to work yesterday for about 3/4 of my 25 mile ride home. No sweep, no nothing but it was working when I got home. I've read other posts on speedometers and I've decided to check and clean the connections this weekend and go from there if that doesn't work.
My question is about the speed sensor. I realize it has a possibility of being the problem but if it went bad, isn't it designed to send a code to the check engine light?


High probability it is not an "electrical issue." The needles are not actually "connected" to anything (It's called an Air-Coil. A 3 pole magnetic field controls its position. The sweep is actually just to calibrate the needle each time you start (fuel needle is the same.

Get yourself some light weight "sewing machine" oil. Put a dab on the post (from the back requires a lot of disassembly) or pop off the needle from the top of the post and drip the oil in that way. You may need to put the needle lightly back on to move it around and get the oil to penitrate. I am assuming the needle just seems to freeze in position when it fails? If it's falling back to zero, you may be correct on an electrical connector issue (or failing solder joint on the Ckt board.)
 
Logged Logged  
 

Gerry
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1022037
QA2FalconRet (User)
Fresh Boarder
Posts: 25
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Speedometer issues 1 Week, 1 Day ago  
I had the same problem on my 02 with 73K mi. speedo would either not read anything or only 20 - 30 mph no matter what speed I went, checked all connectors but no change, sometimes it would work properly. So I put the drop of sewing mach. oil on the shaft from the inside and all is well every time, also did the fuel gauge needle while I was there. Not difficult to disassemble, fuel gauge will read full after reassembly no matter how much gas you have I'm thinking it's do to being disconnected but not to worry it will correct it self after a few minutes of run time. Hope this helps someone.
NOTE: Speedo would work properly on the first ride of the day but after a stop at a store or whatever it would not work, sometimes I could turn bike off an restart it would work sometimes, oil fixed it all.
 
Logged Logged  
 
[img size=150][/img]
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1022070
thatjeepguy (User)
Fresh Boarder
Posts: 23
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Speedometer issues 1 Week ago  
G_Conway wrote:
thatjeepguy wrote:
My speedometer decided not to work yesterday for about 3/4 of my 25 mile ride home. No sweep, no nothing but it was working when I got home. I've read other posts on speedometers and I've decided to check and clean the connections this weekend and go from there if that doesn't work.
My question is about the speed sensor. I realize it has a possibility of being the problem but if it went bad, isn't it designed to send a code to the check engine light?


High probability it is not an "electrical issue." The needles are not actually "connected" to anything (It's called an Air-Coil. A 3 pole magnetic field controls its position. The sweep is actually just to calibrate the needle each time you start (fuel needle is the same.

Get yourself some light weight "sewing machine" oil. Put a dab on the post (from the back requires a lot of disassembly) or pop off the needle from the top of the post and drip the oil in that way. You may need to put the needle lightly back on to move it around and get the oil to penitrate. I am assuming the needle just seems to freeze in position when it fails? If it's falling back to zero, you may be correct on an electrical connector issue (or failing solder joint on the Ckt board.)

When I left work all was well. I noticed a couple blocks away that the Speedo wasn't working. It was just pegged At 0. At two traffic lights I turned the ignition off and on but it didn't help. I got on the freeway and about 15 miles later I looked down and it was back working.
 
Logged Logged  
 
The reason I talk to myself is because I\'m the only one whose answers I\'ll accept.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1022073
G_Conway (User)
ScrewBird
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 1009
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: San Diego, CA. Birthdate: 1955-05-12
Re:Speedometer issues 1 Week ago  
No sweep usually is not an intermittent issue. Still sounds like needle sticking.
 
Logged Logged  
 

Gerry
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1022083
thatjeepguy (User)
Fresh Boarder
Posts: 23
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Speedometer issues 1 Week ago  
G_Conway wrote:
No sweep usually is not an intermittent issue. Still sounds like needle sticking.
My only question now is do I use conventional sewing machine oil or the synthetic?
Good to know motorcyclists aren't the only ones with the oil dilemma.....lol
 
Logged Logged  
 
The reason I talk to myself is because I\'m the only one whose answers I\'ll accept.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1022087
G_Conway (User)
ScrewBird
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 1009
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: San Diego, CA. Birthdate: 1955-05-12
Re:Speedometer issues 1 Week ago  
thatjeepguy wrote:
G_Conway wrote:
No sweep usually is not an intermittent issue. Still sounds like needle sticking.
My only question now is do I use conventional sewing machine oil or the synthetic?
Good to know motorcyclists aren't the only ones with the oil dilemma.....lol


Wont matter at all. By the way, we all say "sewing machine oil" but any VERY thin oil will work. Your just looking for something that will not dry or get sticky over time. I have not tried it, but I would guess "air tool oil" would work also. So any place like home depot???
 
Logged Logged  
 
Last Edit: 2017/09/12 21:05 By G_Conway.
 

Gerry
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1022340
thatjeepguy (User)
Fresh Boarder
Posts: 23
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Speedometer issues 2 Days, 20 Hours ago  
I pulled the speedo yesterday, dropped some sewing machine oil down the shaft under the speedometer and a drop down the fuel gauge and now both are working flawlessly. Thanks for the help!
 
Logged Logged  
 
The reason I talk to myself is because I\'m the only one whose answers I\'ll accept.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Go to top Post Reply
Powered by FireBoardget the latest posts directly to your desktop
...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... -->
New Forum Posts




The Road Star Clinic is a collaborative community of riders who archive and publish user contributed technical data about Yamaha Road Star motorcycles.

We also sponsor the creation and support of other community websites similar to our own. Inquiries about availability of a website for your community can be submitted to us via any "Contact Us" option on the Clinic.

Copyright 2003-2007 Road Star Clinic and its respective authors. Road Star Clinic is sponsored by the folks at MLSHomeQuest.com.