Road Star Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:New Airbox and Air-Fuel Ratio Gauge
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 7
TOPIC: Re:New Airbox and Air-Fuel Ratio Gauge
#1027364
curmudgeon666 (User)
Eschew Obfuscation
Gold Boarder
Posts: 867
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male doug1nan2 Location: Punta Gorda, Florida Birthdate: 1952-02-16
New Airbox and Air-Fuel Ratio Gauge 1 Week, 1 Day ago  
I have been planning this mod for awhile and finally bit the bullet and did it. S&S retro round style free flow air cleaner kit. Barons jet and needle kit, carb rebuild kit, Innotech Air-Fuel ratio gauge. Decarboned with Seafoam while I was at it before installation of the AFR so as not to damage the O2 sensor. Bike not only runs better but I can monitor my Air Fuel ratio at all speeds and rpm's for optimal burn and performance. I believe that this system is a MUST have for all carbed bikes to keep them running at peak efficiency and reduce carbon buildup and increase MPG. The bike runs smoother and appears to have a little more torque in first and second gear. I wouldn't have bothered with it at all except that I finally decided that there was no other bike I would rather own except for maybe a fuel injected Roadstar, so if I'm going to keep it forever then I better do some mods to increase longevity & performance.
File Attachment:
File Name: AF_Gauge.pdf
File Size: 45025
 
Logged Logged  
 
Last Edit: 2018/01/08 19:01 By curmudgeon666.
 
Deny everything, admit nothing, demand proof, blame the new guy.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1027365
davej (User)
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 18115
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Toledo Ohio Birthdate: 1957-00-00
Re:New Airbox and Air-Fuel Ratio Gauge 1 Week, 1 Day ago  
I have the Innovate AFR gauge on mine It has been a lot of help in learning the proper set up for these bikes. If you have any questions on anything including proper readings at different speeds and conditions feel free to ask and I will help answer if I can. It is a great mod to have.
 
Logged Logged  
 
Last Edit: 2018/01/08 13:07 By davej.
 
dave
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1027366
txulrich (User)
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 2725
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Dallas, TX Birthdate: 1957-04-21
Re:New Airbox and Air-Fuel Ratio Gauge 1 Week, 1 Day ago  
davej wrote:
I have the Innovate AFR gauge on mine It has been a lot of help in learning the proper set up for these bikes. If you have any questions on anything including proper readings at different speeds and conditions feel free to ask and I will help answer if I can. It is a great mod to have.

What housing did you mount it in? Never mind, after a second look I see you mounted it in the fairing.
 
Logged Logged  
 
Last Edit: 2018/01/08 13:11 By txulrich.
 
Peace,
Baron Wilhelm Gustav von Schmidtt III
(but you can call me Joe)

  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1027367
txulrich (User)
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 2725
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Dallas, TX Birthdate: 1957-04-21
Re:New Airbox and Air-Fuel Ratio Gauge 1 Week, 1 Day ago  
curmudgeon666 wrote:
I have been planning this mod for awhile and finally bit the bullet and did it. S&S retro round style free flow air cleaner kit. Barons jet and needle kit, carb rebuild kit, Innotech Air-Fuel ratio gauge. Decarboned with Seafoam while I was at it before installation of the AF so as not to damage the O2 sensor. Bike not only runs better but I can monitor my Air Fuel ratio at all speeds and rpm's for optimal burn and performance. I believe that this system is a MUST have for all carbed bikes to keep them running at the peak of efficiency and reduce carbon buildup and increase MPG. The bike runs smoother and appears to have a little more torque in first and second gear. I wouldn't have bothered with it at all except that I finally decided that there was no other bike I would rather own except for maybe a fuel injected Roadstar, so if I'm going to keep it forever then I better do some mods to increase longevity & performance.
File Attachment:
File Name: AF_Gauge.pdf
File Size: 45025


What housing did you mount this in?
 
Logged Logged  
 
Peace,
Baron Wilhelm Gustav von Schmidtt III
(but you can call me Joe)

  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1027368
curmudgeon666 (User)
Eschew Obfuscation
Gold Boarder
Posts: 867
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male doug1nan2 Location: Punta Gorda, Florida Birthdate: 1952-02-16
Re:New Airbox and Air-Fuel Ratio Gauge 1 Week, 1 Day ago  
txulrich wrote:
curmudgeon666 wrote:
I have been planning this mod for awhile and finally bit the bullet and did it. S&S retro round style free flow air cleaner kit. Barons jet and needle kit, carb rebuild kit, Innotech Air-Fuel ratio gauge. Decarboned with Seafoam while I was at it before installation of the AF so as not to damage the O2 sensor. Bike not only runs better but I can monitor my Air Fuel ratio at all speeds and rpm's for optimal burn and performance. I believe that this system is a MUST have for all carbed bikes to keep them running at the peak of efficiency and reduce carbon buildup and increase MPG. The bike runs smoother and appears to have a little more torque in first and second gear. I wouldn't have bothered with it at all except that I finally decided that there was no other bike I would rather own except for maybe a fuel injected Roadstar, so if I'm going to keep it forever then I better do some mods to increase longevity & performance.
File Attachment:
File Name: AF_Gauge.pdf
File Size: 45025


What housing did you mount this in?


I used an aviation cushioned case from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/westbergcshcase.php?clickkey=193344
 
Logged Logged  
 
Last Edit: 2018/01/08 14:37 By curmudgeon666.
 
Deny everything, admit nothing, demand proof, blame the new guy.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1027369
curmudgeon666 (User)
Eschew Obfuscation
Gold Boarder
Posts: 867
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male doug1nan2 Location: Punta Gorda, Florida Birthdate: 1952-02-16
Re:New Airbox and Air-Fuel Ratio Gauge 1 Week, 1 Day ago  
I had a very difficult time trying to find a case for the instrument before I found the one at Aircraft Spruce. It works but is not an ideal fit. Couldn't believe Innovate not only didn't have a case to go with the gauge if needed for a handlebar mount but couldn't even tell me where to buy one!
 
Logged Logged  
 
Last Edit: 2018/01/08 14:59 By curmudgeon666.
 
Deny everything, admit nothing, demand proof, blame the new guy.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1027372
cike (User)
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 3232
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:New Airbox and Air-Fuel Ratio Gauge 1 Week, 1 Day ago  
I think that air cleaner cover looks AAAAAWESOME!!
 
Logged Logged  
 

owning a motorcycles not a matter of life or death, its much more important than that
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1027385
curmudgeon666 (User)
Eschew Obfuscation
Gold Boarder
Posts: 867
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male doug1nan2 Location: Punta Gorda, Florida Birthdate: 1952-02-16
Re:New Airbox and Air-Fuel Ratio Gauge 1 Week, 1 Day ago  
Thanks for the compliment. I like the exposed air filter style but figured I better have some protection in case I run into heavy rain. My final choice was between the tear drop style and the retro style. I picked the round retro as a homage to my first street bike at the young age of 18. A 1956 Panhead Harley.cike wrote:
I think that air cleaner cover looks AAAAAWESOME!!
 
Logged Logged  
 
Deny everything, admit nothing, demand proof, blame the new guy.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1027390
RoadstarTerry (User)
Senior Boarder
Posts: 360
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Re:New Airbox and Air-Fuel Ratio Gauge 1 Week, 1 Day ago  
Nicely done!!
 
Logged Logged  
 
Pat Tillman American Legion Post 117
Service Officer
American Legion Riders
Patriot Guard Riders

Patriot Guard Rider
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1027402
Father_Pobasturd (User)
VENI VIDI VICI
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 4958
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Buckeye, Arizona Birthdate: 1961-09-11
Re:New Airbox and Air-Fuel Ratio Gauge 1 Week, 1 Day ago  
Get down wit cho bad o-mage 666. I had a '49 EL, Mine had the "bell" cover. Is that as close as you could get, or is that not the new one pictured?


 
Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Go to top Post Reply
Powered by FireBoardget the latest posts directly to your desktop
...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... -->
New Forum Posts




The Road Star Clinic is a collaborative community of riders who archive and publish user contributed technical data about Yamaha Road Star motorcycles.

We also sponsor the creation and support of other community websites similar to our own. Inquiries about availability of a website for your community can be submitted to us via any "Contact Us" option on the Clinic.

Copyright 2003-2007 Road Star Clinic and its respective authors. Road Star Clinic is sponsored by the folks at MLSHomeQuest.com.