Assembling and Installing the Transfer Case
Written by Randy Fox
Saturday, 03 November 2007
Page 4 of 6
Continuing Assembly on the Right-Side
Transfer Case Gear Cover (aka
Skinny Case Cover)
Next, install the transfer gear case cover (the 'skinny case cover', as shown in the photo above), if it was removed. To do this, perform the following:
- If you removed the transfer case's oil pump from the skinny cover, bolt it back on using a new gasket. Use 7.2 ft-lbs, which is 86.4 in-lbs. Be sure to use thread-lock on the bolts. See the service manual for details.
- Install alignment dowels into the transfer case’s right-side. Put on a new gasket.
- Slip on the little, washer-looking gasket onto the transfer case stud. See photo in the Installing the Transfer Case in the Bike section above.
- Install the skinny case cover.
- Bolt the skinny case cover according to the photo below.
Note: If the transfer case was not disassembled, you will only need to install the bolts marked with red arrows, above.
The chrome thumb-nut goes onto the stud in the center of the case.
Torque all the transfer case engine bolts and the chrome-nut as a unit now. The bolts marked in yellow are torqued to 7.2 ft-lbs. The ones marked in red are torqued to 22 ft-lbs.
Tip: Pay special attention to the gasket. There is a long section on the right side of it that is unsupported. Mine sagged a little, misaligned slightly, and leaked. I had to hold the gasket, from inside the skinny case, with my fingers, to keep it in place while bolting on the skinny case. See photo below.
Copyright 2003-2007 Road Star Clinic and its respective authors.
The Road Star Clinic
is a collaborative community of riders who archive and publish user contributed technical
data about Yamaha Road Star motorcycles.
We also sponsor the creation and support of other community websites similar to our own. Inquiries
about availability of a website for your community can be submitted to us via any "Contact Us" option
on the Clinic.
Road Star Clinic is sponsored by the folks at MLSHomeQuest.com